Friday, September 21, 2007

Turn Your Haters Into Motivators

By Jeb Blount, Sales Podcast Host and CEO of Sales Gravy

In one of my favorite sales books, The Hired Gun, author Robert Workman explains that as your success increases so will the distain of people who resent and hate you for your accomplishments. As a top Sales Professional I’m sure you have had to combat and deal with the envy of others. Losers have always been quick to offer up jealousy as a tribute to excellence. Why? Because they wish that they could be like you and know that they never will be.

As an Elite Athlete of the Business World™ you bring in the sales that keep your organization in business. You get up every morning and give 100% of yourself, while the mediocre people in your company are usually only giving 50% themselves. Instead, they spend the remainder of their time playing politics and looking for ways to hinder high-achievers. They work hard to drag you down as a way to build themselves up. This seems illogical and ridiculous to top performers, and many, rather than deal with this insanity, will quietly exit their organizations. Sometimes these stupid games cause you to feel depression, self-doubt and feelings of isolation. But, it doesn’t have to be this way. In fact, with a little bit of focus, you can get the last laugh by turning your haters into your motivators.


Early this year while I was discussing my excitement over my new book PowerPrinciples, with a good friend, he said, with a very serious tone, “Jeb, you know there will be haters.” I brushed off his statement responding naively that I couldn’t understand how anyone would hate me for writing a book. But, to my surprise and disappointment there were haters and on more than one occasion I was forced to overcome obstacles dealt my way by these short-sighted people. Each time this happened I was initially discouraged but then with encouragement from friends, I bounced back more determined than ever. Soon I learned to welcome the ire of my haters. I found that I could channel their hate into motivation. By turning my haters into motivators my drive to succeed became stronger, my joy from accomplishment reached new heights; and, I got the ultimate revenge by achieving my dream.


Three PowerPrinciples for Turning Your Haters into Motivators

Keep Good Company: Your relationships have a direct impact on your belief system and attitude. Surround yourself with high achievers. When others try to pull you down your high achieving peers will support and encourage you to break through the hurt and win again.

Protect Your Belief System: As losers work to tear you down, your belief system may take a hit. You may even begin to doubt yourself and your abilities. A strong belief system is vital for success in sales. Make sure that you are listening to inspiration programs in your car, that you take time for prayer and contemplation and that you manage your self-talk.

Don’t Get Even - Get Better: When someone hurts you it is human nature to want to get even. Your body fills with energy and adrenalin for revenge. Take advantage of that gift of energy to invest in yourself to get better, stronger and become even more powerful in your skills. Remember, achievement is the ultimate revenge.

Jeb Blount is the author of PowerPrinciples and the CEO of SalesGravy.com, the fastest growing international networking community for the Sales Profession. Jeb is also the host of the top ranked Sales Gravy Podcast.

Take the next step in your Sales Career and join The Sales Gravy Nation today!




span>

No comments: